April 5, 2017
On March 16, 2017 we lost our sister Yadira Arroyo to a senseless act of murder by a defendant with 31 prior arrests. As we continue to deal with our sadness and anger, we must continue to support her family.
I would personally like to state how proud I am of being a member of our EMS family. The support, which members from all over our city have shown during this terrible incident, has been unbelievable. Although the family has received much financial support, nothing can replace a mother to these five young men. A parent does not expect to leave our world before they are sure their children are prepared and have the support and tools to realize a future in our society. The family asked me to thank you on their behalf and all the other agencies and first responders from other states and every citizen who attended the funeral to show there love and respect.
Alternative Work Schedule: On April 19, 2017 we will be meeting at the Office of Labor Relations to discuss the expansion of the 12 Hour Tours. We hope to have a commitment from the City moving forward. We have not received any negative feedback from the City or the Department. We will keep you advised.
Compensation: On the week of March 24, 2017 every member should have received a 3% increase in salary. This should have also been reflected in your meal allowance and recurring increment payment (RIP). The next scheduled increase will be on September 5, 2017 for 3.03 %.
On September 6, 2017 all members who have completed their third year will receive a new longevity of $1,171.00 annually until retirement.
On September 6, 2017 the Haz-Tac assignment differential for EMT’s and Paramedics assigned to Haz-Tac units will begin. A 3% added to base salary for the first year of assignment, additional 3% after one year of assignment for a total of 6%.
Legislation: On March 16, 2017 we held a press conference on the steps of City Hall to introduce our NYCERS Article 78 Legislation. Thank you to all who came out. This bill is moving fast through the N.Y.S Senate and we expect the same in the Assembly. Our 25 and Out Pension Bill and Chapter 96 Bill are still awaiting a fiscal note so we can lobby for the home rule messages. Our Tier 6 legislation is still in committee and we expect a Bill number shortly.
On March 28, 2017 members from Station 26 and myself went to Albany for the introduction of an Anti-Gang Bill, which would provide for extended criminal penalties for acts performed as part of a criminal gang organization, which could have kept Jose Gonzalez off the streets. An act, which may have prevented the tragic murder of our sister. This bill also expands education and intervention to prevent the growth of criminal street gangs in our communities and establishing an ongoing system of tracking criminal gang activity.
On Monday April 3, 2017 we met with the Chief of Staff of the City Council and Council woman Elizabeth Crowley to discuss our Ballistic Armor replacement initiative, F.P.I proposal for points on the Firefighters open competitive exam and discussions on Home Rule messages. We will keep you advised.