MELS COVID 19 UPDATE:
New York State Homeowners Assistance Fund – Up to $50,000 Available for Distressed Home, Coop and Condo Owners
Homeowners at risk of foreclosure or displacement due to a financial hardship suffered as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible for up to $50,000.00 through the New York State Homeowner Assistance Fund.
Applications open as of January 3, 2022.
To qualify you must be:
• Residing in the home, coop or condo; and
• Behind on mortgage payments; or
• Behind on coop maintenance charges or condo HOA fees; or
• Behind on property taxes, water or sewer bills; or
• In default on a reverse mortgage; or
• In forbearance
Homeowner Assistance Funds can be used to:
• Pay off past due mortgage payments; or
• Partially pay down the principal mortgage amount in order to make monthly mortgage payments more affordable; or
• Pay off past due coop maintenance charges or condo HOA fees; or
• Pay off past due property taxes, sewage or water bills; or
• Pay future housing payments for up to six months if the applicant or an adult member of the household is currently unemployed or has exhausted unemployment benefits.
There are income and other eligibility requirements. To apply and to get more information, please go to: New York State Homeowner Assistance Fund
If you own a home, coop or condo and are in need of legal assistance or help navigating the Homeowner Assistance Program, please call the MELS Screening Unit at 212-815-1111.